Thursday, July 8, 2010

Greatest Castle set of all time?

Recently, over at the forums on Classic-Castle there was an exhaustive poll to determine once and for all what the greatest castle set of all time is. The winner? Medieval Market Village.

Now, I understand that a lot of people liked this set, and that it was a vast improvement over the previous years' Castle offerings. However, I don't think this set has what it takes, considering the stiff competition offered by some of the other finalists. Finalists, for example, like King's Castle and Guarded Inn.

My personal pick for greatest castle set ever, however, wasn't even among the nominations (I suppose I should have nominated it myself, but I was pretty busy at the time, and couldn't give it the write-up it deserved). My pick being, of course, Forsetmen's Crossing. It may not be the biggest or most impressive set out there, but what it lacks in size it makes up for in style.



From a kid's (or big kid's) perspective, the set has lots of play value. The set includes 5 minifigs (one being, of course the coveted Forestwoman) and a horse, so there are plenty of characters to build stories around, even with just this one set. Add one more set from another faction, and that's more than enough to keep you busy. The forest fort itself is also packed with playability. Sweet features like a rope bridge (every kid's dream!) and a secret treasure hiding spot make this set even more exciting. The baseplate is one of the most unique that LEGO ever introduced, and the set includes lots of foliage pieces to emphasize the sylvan setting. And I just love how the tower is built into the tree!

Got anything to add? Prefer another set? Add your comments below!

1 comment:

  1. I had that one too, great set - Castle was my favorite genre and I liked the Forest Men a lot. Had a whole village of theirs I built in my Castle world lol I had this set and a couple others whose names I'd have to look up, but I built them some additional hideouts and such with leftover blocks from elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete